Sunday, October 19, 2008

I worry I am too boring...?


I worry I am too boring...?

I have always had a bit of a complex that people don't like me and/or find me boring. I think I'm a nice person although I can be a little on the quiet side around new people. The other week, my partner got drunk & told me that people we knew thought I was boring and only humoured me because I was "something to look at."

I have since, pretty much, stopped talking to our 'friends' because of this. When we are in a social situation now, I feel like such an outcast that I end up drinking wine to make myself feel better and to hopefully not come across as so boring, as (hopefully) a tipsy me is less boring as a sober me. This means I end up drinking most nights, which obviously isn't healthy and I'm not really very happy about. I have no friends or close family to talk to. Any advice? Thanks.

Your opinion of yourself is the most important. There's nothing wrong with being shy or quiet around new people. Although, it seems like you're a bit insecure as well.

I suggest you build your own social circle, and not because some of the people you know think you're boring. You mentioned that you have no friends, which means you're probably only hanging out with your partner's friends. That's fine from time to time, but you need your own social circle. Building your social circle would also allow you to discover more about yourself, while allowing you to meet people with similar interests.

Think of something you'd like to do, or an interest that you have and develop it. It could be joining a book club, drinking club (just kidding) or a women's social group, as long as it's something you're interested in and you go without your partner and his friends. It's okay to go alone. Remember, you'll be making plenty of new friends in these groups. There's an online site that has tons of cool groups listed based upon different interests at http://www.meetup.com/.
And as far as the drinking, well you already know what I think. But never drink to get people to like you. You're fabulous. They just don't know it yet.

I hope I've helped.

No comments: